Homecoming Game


On October 17, 2015 Phoenix Military Academy had their homecoming football game against Manley at Rockne Stadium at  12:45 p.m. This was the moment everyone had been waiting for, to see PMA’s football team in action against Manley Phoenix’s football team was 4-3 and they needed to win their homecoming game and their last game against Michelle Clark in order to be qualified for the playoffs.

“The intensity of this game is unbelievable. Everyone on the team knows how important this game is because it’s our Homecoming game and we need to win this game to be one step closer to the playoffs,” said senior Rickie Ghoston.

To be qualified for the playoffs, each team needed to win at least six games out of the nine game season. With Phoenix’s record being 4-3 they could not afford to lose any more games.

“I’ve been waiting for this game since the beginning of the season. I’m not even nervous, I’m too hyped up to be nervous. I just can’t wait until the game starts so I can play hard and come out on top with the win,” said senior Stephon Jackson.

The referee blew the whistle letting everyone know that the game was  starting. Manley received  the ball first and Phoenix was on defense. It was first  and ten  with the ball on the 50 yard line. Manley’s first play was a short pass which got their team ten yards giving them the first down.

The ball was down on the 40 yard line and the team was getting closer to their end zone. The two teams broke  from their huddle and lined up in their formations. Manley was still on offense and Phoenix on defense.

The quarterback for Manley hiked the ball and it was a pass play again. Phoenix’s defensive line broke through Manley’s offensive line causing the quarterback  to panic and throw a very inaccurate pass that lead to an interception by senior Jayvonta Hicks.

Everyone cheered, fans, teammates and cheerleaders as Hicks, #81, caught the pass for a interception and ran it all the way back for a 60 yard defensive touchdown.

“It all happened so fast. I never knew that I would get a interception and also be able to run it all the way back for a touchdown. I guess all the hard work I’ve been putting in, has finally payed off,” said Hicks.

That one little mistake cost Manley the entire game. After the pick six by defensive end, Hicks, Phoenix  went for a 2 point conversion and it was good. The score at the end of the half was Phoenix 8 and Manley 0.

Towards the end of the game Manley was able to get a couple of points on the board by getting a 2 point safety. However, after that neither team was able to score again and then the game was over. That one play allowed for PMA to come out with the win and get the closer to the playoffs this season.